#girlBOSS

After hearing many stories about being a stereotypical broke college student, I decided last year that I was going to do everything in my will to make sure that I didn't fall into that stereotype. So, I chose Stonehill (which happened to make #9 on the Princeton Review -- YAY!) not only because it's an amazing school but because of its proximity to my part-time job I've had for over two years.

Yes, college is going to be an absolute blast no matter what. But isn't it going to be even more enjoyable knowing that I'm not completely broke? Knowing that if a friend wants to grab dinner, I don't have to decline due to not having money? Knowing that if J. Crew is having an awesome sale, I can actually treat myself to one or two things? Those will be worth it to me.

So many people find it odd that I want to continue working through college, but I don't. There's nothing wrong with the fact that I want to be financially stable throughout my four years of college. In fact, I think it's actually a smart move because then I'll have at least a small amount of money saved up for when I graduate so I can get an apartment ASAP instead of having to wait to make a decent amount of money.

Yes, I realize it's going to be a struggle. I work five days a week as it is -- which consists of waking up at 3:45 AM for each of those five days due to the fact that I work in a coffee shop. But the fact that I get to work at 4:15 AM and leave at 11 AM is actually extremely convenient because I still have the whole day ahead of me. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that is willing to work around my school schedule. I'm also looking into some freelance jobs so that I can earn extra money while at home. My days are going to basically be work, school, study, sleep, repeat. But you know what? I'm okay with that because I know that it'll all be worth it in the end. I've been able to balance the gym, work, school, my boyfriend, my blog, my friends, and sleep throughout high school, so I know that college won't be much different.

I definitely consider myself a #girlBOSS, and honestly, I'm proud of my work ethic. There shouldn't be any shame in that! It may be hard now, but I know that when I have that diploma along with extra money saved up, I will know that hard work really does pay off.

#rantOVER

5 comments:

  1. Lady, you SOUND like a #girlboss. I worked all throughout college, too, so you're not alone. It actually builds a heck of a lot more character (and a better resume) than strictly focusing on school. Go you!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are for sure a #girlboss,and I will use you as my inspiration for those days now that I just don't feel like anything!

    Courtney//
    As We Stumble Along

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girly you are not a #girlboss, you are the #ultimategirlboss!! You are so right to say that hard work really pays off, and you are an absolute inspiration! Good luck with everything, you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like me! Blogging full time, school full time! We can do it!

    Xo, Michelle

    http://www.mash-elle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been through college and grad school, graduated with honors in both while working roughly 30-35 hours a week and full time in the summer. It's definitely possible and worth it! Gets you ready for "real life" more than you'd think.

    I'd definitely discourage you from living at home though. I had a friend that I went to school with that lived at home for 2 years before seeing it really detracts from the college experience and moved on-campus. It's a lot harder to make meaningful friendships, get involved on campus, etc.

    One more thing - working is great, but NEVER give up on a good internship opportunity to work a job that won't get you anywhere long-term. Maybe senior year you can cut to weekends only at work so you can focus on getting real opportunities in your field - very few jobs/grad schools want someone without proven connections/recommendations and experience in the area.

    It's easy to think you've got it all figured out at 18, so definitely listen to people 5 years+ removed from college & get their perspective! You may not agree, but it's really important to listen.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete