Wonder Women Networking Event

As I was searching through Twitter, I came across an awesome organization called Wonder Women of Boston. This group is all about bringing women together to network in order to build relationships and skills. As a young and brand new entrepreneur, I felt that it was necessary for me to start attending networking events. I decided that their bi-annual networking event last Wednesday would be perfect for me!

My mom and her best friend brought me into the city and then went out to dinner while I was at the event so I didn't have to worry about driving myself in. (For those of you who have never been to Boston: driving into the city is crazy, especially at rush hour!) The event was at the Back Bay Social Club on Boylston Street, one of my favorite streets in Boston. We got there at around 5:15, and the event didn't start until 6:30, so we killed some time by shopping at the Prudential Center. Not blowing all my money when I go to the Pru is always hard for me... and it was especially hard on Wednesday with all of the fabulous sales still going on! There would only be light snacks at the event, and I wanted to make sure I got something to eat before I went. I got a delicious sandwich at Cheese Box!

I was one of the first people at the event, which was kind of awkward. But soon after another lady arrived, she started talking to me, and then it all took off from there! I was super nervous about the event because I'm not so good at starting conversations, but the conversations flowed so smoothly. Women just sort of jumped into your conversation, and it was all so natural! The conversation mostly revolved around school, work, and goals.

I was definitely the youngest one there, which was nerve-wracking; the women were pretty much around 23 years old and older. I was worried that I wouldn't fit in well because of my age, but the women were surprised to find out that I was still in high school. They were genuinely impressed with the fact that I have my own business at just 18 years old, which was honestly such a confidence booster for me!

I handed out tons of business cards that night and also got a decent amount of business cards from other women. Although I may not be able to benefit from these women in a business manner, they were all great women to talk to! I did meet a few that are also in the marketing business, which is great. I was surprised at how quickly the time flew by and definitely did not want to leave when it ended! I can't wait to attend another event soon.

Have you been to a networking event before?

No comments:

Post a Comment